[openstack-dev] [tc][all] Discussing goals (upgrades) with community @ office hours

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Mon Oct 15 12:16:25 UTC 2018

On Sat, 13 Oct 2018, Mohammed Naser wrote:

> Does this seem like it would be of interest to the community?  I am
> currently trying to transform our office hours to be more of a space
> where we have more of the community and less of discussion between us.

If we want discussion to actually be with the community at large
(rather than giving lip service to the idea), then we need to be
more oriented to using email. Each time we have an office hour or a
meeting in IRC or elsewhere, or an ad hoc Hangout, unless we are
super disciplined about reporting the details to email afterwards, a
great deal of information falls on the floor and individuals who are
unable to attend because of time, space, language or other
constraints are left out.

For community-wide issues, synchronous discussion should be the mode
of last resort. Anything else creates a priesthood with a
disempowered laity wondering how things got away from them.

For community goals, in particular, preferring email for discussion
and planning seems pretty key.

I wonder if instead of specifying topics for TC office hours, we kill
them instead? They've turned into gossiping echo chambers.