[openstack-dev] [oslo][taskflow] Thoughts on moving taskflow out of openstack/oslo

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Mon Oct 15 11:27:38 UTC 2018

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018, Greg Hill wrote:

> I guess I'm putting it forward to the larger community. Does anyone have
> any objections to us doing this? Are there any non-obvious technicalities
> that might make such a transition difficult? Who would need to be made
> aware so they could adjust their own workflows?

I've been on both sides of conversations like this a few different
times. Generally speaking people who are not already in the
OpenStack environment express an unwillingness to participate
because of perceptions of walled-garden and too-many-hoops.

Whatever the reality of the situation, those perceptions matter, and
for libraries that are already or potentially useful to people who
are not in OpenStack, being "outside" is probably beneficial. And
for a library that is normally installed (or should optimally be
installed because, really, isn't it nice to be decoupled?) via pip,
does it matter to OpenStack where it comes from?

> Or would it be preferable to just fork and rename the project so openstack
> can continue to use the current taskflow version without worry of us
> breaking features?

Fork sounds worse.

I've had gabbi contributors tell me, explicitly, that they would not
bother contributing if they had to go through what they perceive to
be the OpenStack hoops. That's anecdata, but for me it is pretty
compelling.