[openstack-dev] [nova] Supporting force live-migrate and force evacuate with nested allocations

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 12:46:23 UTC 2018

On 10/10/2018 06:32 AM, Balázs Gibizer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for all the feedback. I feel the following consensus is forming:
>
> 1) remove the force flag in a new microversion. I've proposed a spec
> about that API change [1]

+1

> 2) in the old microversions change the blind allocation copy to gather
> every resource from a nested source RPs too and try to allocate that
> from the destination root RP. In nested allocation cases putting this
> allocation to placement will fail and nova will fail the migration /
> evacuation. However it will succeed if the server does not need nested
> allocation neither on the source nor on the destination host (a.k.a the
> legacy case). Or if the server has nested allocation on the source host
> but does not need nested allocation on the destination host (for
> example the dest host does not have nested RP tree yet).

I disagree on this. I'd rather just do a simple check for >1 provider in
the allocations on the source and if True, fail hard.

The reverse (going from a non-nested source to a nested destination)
will hard fail anyway on the destination because the POST /allocations
won't work due to capacity exceeded (or failure to have any inventory at
all for certain resource classes on the destination's root compute node).

-jay