[openstack-dev] [oslo][glance][cinder][keystone][requirements] blocking oslo.messaging 9.0.0

Lance Bragstad lbragstad at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 19:48:58 UTC 2018

On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 10:56 AM Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:

> Matthew Thode <prometheanfire at gentoo.org> writes:

> ways

> is

> >> Do you have links to the failure logs or bug reports or something? If I
> >> wanted to help I wouldn't even know where to start.
> >>

> http://logs.openstack.org/21/607521/2/check/cross-cinder-py35/e15722e/testr_results.html.gz
>
> These failures look like we should add a proper API to oslo.messaging to
> set the notification and rpc backends for testing. The configuration
> options are *not* part of the API of the library.
>
> There is already an oslo_messaging.conffixture module with a fixture
> class, but it looks like it defaults to rabbit. Maybe someone wants to
> propose a patch to make that a parameter to the constructor?
>

> http://logs.openstack.org/21/607521/2/check/cross-glance-py35/e2161d7/testr_results.html.gz
>
> These failures should be fixed by releasing the patch that Mehdi
> provided that ensures there is a valid default transport configured.
>

> http://logs.openstack.org/21/607521/2/check/cross-keystone-py35/908a1c2/testr_results.html.gz
>
> Lance has already described these as mocking implementation details of
> the library. I expect we'll need someone with keystone experience to
> work out what the best solution is to do there.

So - I think it's apparent there are two things to do to fix this for
keystone, which could be true for other projects as well.

To recap, keystone has tests to assert the plumbing to send a notification
was called, or not called, depending on configuration options in keystone
(we allow operators to opt out of noisy notifications, like authenticate).

As noted earlier, we shouldn't be making these assertions using an internal
method of oslo.messaging. I have a patch up to refactor that to use the
public API instead [0]. Even with that fix [0], the tests mentioned by Matt
still fail because there isn't a sane default. I have a separate patch up
to make keystone's tests work by supplying the default introduced in
version 9.0.1 [1], overriding the configuration option for transport_url.
This got a bit hairy in a circular-dependency kind of way because
get_notification_transport() [2] is what registers the default options,
which is broken. I have a patch to keystone [3] showing how I worked around
this, which might not be needed if we allow the constructor to accept an
override for transport_url.

[0] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/609072/
[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/608196/3/oslo_messaging/transport.py
[2]