[openstack-dev] [placement] The "intended purpose" of traits

Dan Smith dms at danplanet.com
Mon Oct 1 17:17:50 UTC 2018

> It sounds like you might be saying, "I would rather not see encoded
> trait names OR a new key/value primitive; but if the alternative is
> ending up with 'a much larger mess', I would accept..." ...which?
>
> Or is it, "We should not implement a key/value primitive, nor should we
> implement restrictions on trait names; but we should continue to
> discourage (ab)use of trait names by steering placement consumers to..."
> ...do what?

The second one.

> The restriction is real, not perceived. Without key/value (either
> encoded or explicit), how should we steer placement consumers to satisfy
> e.g., "Give me disk from a provider with RAID5"?

Sure, I'm not doubting the need to find providers with certain
abilities. What I'm saying (and I assume Jay is as well), is that
finding things with more domain-specific attributes is the job of the
domain controller (i.e. nova). Placement's strength, IMHO, is the
unified and extremely simple data model and consistency guarantees that
it provides. It takes a lot of the work of searching and atomic
accounting of enumerable and qualitative things out of the scheduler of
the consumer. IMHO, it doesn't (i.e. won't ever) and shouldn't replace
all the things that nova's scheduler needs to do. I think it's useful to
draw the line in front of a full-blown key=value store and DSL grammar
for querying everything with all the operations anyone could ever need.

Unifying the simpler and more common bits into placement and keeping the
domain-specific consideration and advanced filtering of the results in
nova/ironic/etc is the right separation of responsibilities, IMHO. RAID
level is, of course, an overly simplistic example to use, which makes
the problem seem small, but we know more complicated examples exist.

--Dan