[openstack-dev] networking-vpp 18.10 for VPP 18.10 is now available

Naveen Joy (najoy) najoy at cisco.com
Thu Nov 8 22:04:40 UTC 2018

Hello All,

In conjunction with the release of VPP 18.10, we'd like to invite you all to try out networking-vpp 18.10 for VPP 18.10.
As many of you may already know, VPP is a fast user space forwarder based on the DPDK toolkit. VPP uses vector packet
processing algorithms to minimize the CPU time spent on each packet to maximize throughput.

Networking-vpp is a ML2 mechanism driver that controls VPP on your control and compute hosts to provide fast L2 forwarding
under Neutron.

In this release, we have made improvements to fully support the network trunk service plugin. Using this plugin, you can attach
multiple networks to an instance by binding it to a single vhostuser trunk port. The APIs are the same as the OpenStack Neutron trunk
service APIs. You can also now bind and unbind subports to a bound network trunk.

Another feature we have improved in this release is the Tap-as-a-service(TaaS). The TaaS code has been updated to handle any out of order
etcd messages received during agent restarts. You can use this service to create remote port mirroring capability for tenant virtual networks.

Besides the above, this release also has several bug fixes, VPP 18.10 API compatibility and stability related improvements.

The README [1] explains how you can try out VPP using devstack: the devstack plugin will deploy the mechanism driver and VPP 18.10
and should give you a working system with a minimum of hassle.

We will be continuing our development between now and VPP's 19.01 release. There are several features we're planning to work on
and we will keep you updated through our bugs list [2]. We welcome anyone who would like to come help us.

Everyone is welcome to join our biweekly IRC meetings, every other Monday (the next one is due this Monday at 0800 PT = 1600 GMT.
--
Ian & Naveen

[1]https://github.com/openstack/networking-vpp/blob/master/README.rst
[2]http://goo.gl/i3TzAt