[openstack-dev] [python3] Enabling py37 unit tests

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Wed Nov 7 16:11:04 UTC 2018

On Wed, Nov 7, 2018, at 4:47 AM, Mohammed Naser wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 1:37 PM Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:
> >
> > Corey Bryant <corey.bryant at canonical.com> writes:
> >
> > > On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 8:45 AM Corey Bryant <corey.bryant at canonical.com>
> > > wrote:
> > >
> > > I'd like to start moving forward with enabling py37 unit tests for a subset
> > > of projects. Rather than putting too much load on infra by enabling 3 x py3
> > > unit tests for every project, this would just focus on enablement of py37
> > > unit tests for a subset of projects in the Stein cycle. And just to be
> > > clear, I would not be disabling any unit tests (such as py35). I'd just be
> > > enabling py37 unit tests.
> > >
> > > As some background, this ML thread originally led to updating the
> > > python3-first governance goal (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/610708/)
> > > but has now led back to this ML thread for a +1 rather than updating the
> > > governance goal.
> > >
> > > I'd like to get an official +1 here on the ML from parties such as the TC
> > > and infra in particular but anyone else's input would be welcomed too.
> > > Obviously individual projects would have the right to reject proposed
> > > changes that enable py37 unit tests. Hopefully they wouldn't, of course,
> > > but they could individually vote that way.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Corey
> >
> > This seems like a good way to start. It lets us make incremental
> > progress while we take the time to think about the python version
> > management question more broadly. We can come back to the other projects
> > to add 3.7 jobs and remove 3.5 jobs when we have that plan worked out.
>
> What's the impact on the number of consumption in upstream CI node usage?

For period from 2018-10-25 15:16:32,079 to 2018-11-07 15:59:04,994, openstack-tox-py35 jobs in aggregate represent 0.73% of our total capacity usage.

I don't expect py37 to significantly deviate from that. Again the major resource consumption is dominated by a small number of projects/repos/jobs. Generally testing outside of that bubble doesn't represent a significant resource cost.

I see no problem with adding python 3.7 unit testing from an infrastructure perspective.

Clark