[openstack-dev] [all][qa] Migrating devstack jobs to Bionic (Ubuntu LTS 18.04)

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Nov 6 21:25:33 UTC 2018

On 2018-11-06 22:05:49 +0100 (+0100), Slawek Kaplonski wrote:
[...]
> also add jobs like "devstack-xenial" and "tempest-full-xenial"
> which projects can use still for some time if their job on Bionic
> would be broken now?
[...]

That opens the door to piecemeal migration, which (as we similarly
saw during the Trusty to Xenial switch) will inevitably lead to
projects who no longer gate on Xenial being unable to integration
test against projects who don't yet support Bionic. At the same
time, projects which have switched to Bionic will start merging
changes which only work on Bionic without realizing it, so that
projects which test on Xenial can't use them. In short, you'll be
broken either way. On top of that, you can end up with projects that
don't get around to switching completely before release comes, and
then they're stuck having to manage a test platform transition on a
stable branch.
--
Jeremy Stanley