[openstack-dev] [nova][placement] Placement requests and caching in the resource tracker

Mohammed Naser mnaser at vexxhost.com
Mon Nov 5 18:28:01 UTC 2018

On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 4:17 PM Matt Riedemann <mriedemos at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/4/2018 4:22 AM, Mohammed Naser wrote:
> > Just for information sake, a clean state cloud which had no reported issues
> > over maybe a period of 2-3 months already has 4 allocations which are
> > incorrect and 12 allocations pointing to the wrong resource provider, so I
> > think this comes does to committing to either "self-healing" to fix those
> > issues or not.
>
> Is this running Rocky or an older release?

In this case, this is inside a Queens cloud, I can run the same script
on a Rocky
cloud too.

> Have you dug into any of the operations around these instances to
> determine what might have gone wrong? For example, was a live migration
> performed recently on these instances and if so, did it fail? How about
> evacuations (rebuild from a down host).

To be honest, I have not, however, I suspect a lot of those happen from the
fact that it is possible that the service which makes the claim is not the
same one that deletes it

I'm not sure if this is something that's possible but say the compute2 makes
a claim for migrating to compute1 but something fails there, the revert happens
in compute1 but compute1 is already borked so it doesn't work

This isn't necessarily the exact case that's happening but it's a summary
of what I believe happens.

> By "4 allocations which are incorrect" I assume that means they are
> pointing at the correct compute node resource provider but the values
> for allocated VCPU, MEMORY_MB and DISK_GB is wrong? If so, how do the
> allocations align with old/new flavors used to resize the instance? Did
> the resize fail?

The allocated flavours usually are not wrong, they are simply associated
to the wrong resource provider (so it feels like failed migration or resize).

> Are there mixed compute versions at all, i.e. are you moving instances
> around during a rolling upgrade?

Nope