[openstack-dev] [publiccloud-wg] Serving vendor json from RFC 5785 well-known dir

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Nov 5 09:19:28 UTC 2018

Monty Taylor wrote:
> [...]
> What if we added support for serving vendor data files from the root of
> a primary URL as-per RFC 5785. Specifically, support deployers adding a
> json file to .well-known/openstack/client that would contain what we
> currently store in the openstacksdk repo and were just discussing
> splitting out.
> [...]
> What do people think?

I love the idea of public clouds serving that file directly, and the
user experience you get from it. The only two drawbacks on top of my
head would be:

- it's harder to discover available compliant openstack clouds from the
client.

- there is no vetting process, so there may be failures with weird
clouds serving half-baked files that people may blame the client tooling
for.

I still think it's a good idea, as in theory it aligns the incentive of
maintaining the file with the most interested stakeholder. It just might
need some extra communication to work seamlessly.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)