[openstack-dev] [TripleO] PSA lets use deploy_steps_tasks

Cédric Jeanneret cjeanner at redhat.com
Mon Nov 5 09:05:03 UTC 2018

On 11/2/18 2:39 PM, Dan Prince wrote:
> I pushed a patch[1] to update our containerized deployment
> architecture docs yesterday. There are 2 new fairly useful sections we
> can leverage with TripleO's stepwise deployment. They appear to be
> used somewhat sparingly so I wanted to get the word out.

Good thing, it's important to highlight this feature and explain how it
works, big thumb up Dan!

> The first is 'deploy_steps_tasks' which gives you a means to run
> Ansible snippets on each node/role in a stepwise fashion during
> deployment. Previously it was only possible to execute puppet or
> docker commands where as now that we have deploy_steps_tasks we can
> execute ad-hoc ansible in the same manner.

I'm wondering if such a thing could be used for the "inflight
validations" - i.e. a step to validate a service/container is working as
expected once it's deployed, in order to get early failure.
For instance, we deploy a rabbitmq container, and right after it's
deployed, we'd like to ensure it's actually running and works as
expected before going forward in the deploy.

Care to have a look at that spec[1] and see if, instead of adding a new
"validation_tasks" entry, we could "just" use the "deploy_steps_tasks"
with the right step number? That would be really, really cool, and will
probably avoid a lot of code in the end :).

Thank you!

C.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/602007/