[openstack-dev] [nova] [placement] Upgrade concerns with nested Resource Providers

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Thu May 31 19:15:40 UTC 2018

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 4:34 PM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 05/29/2018 09:12 AM, Sylvain Bauza wrote:
>
>> We could keep the old inventory in the root RP for the previous vGPU type
>> already supported in Queens and just add other inventories for other vGPU
>> types now supported. That looks possibly the simpliest option as the virt
>> driver knows that.
>>

> What do you mean by "vGPU type"? Are you referring to the multiple GPU
> types stuff where specific virt drivers know how to handle different vGPU
> vendor types? Or are you referring to a "non-nested VGPU inventory on the
> compute node provider" versus a "VGPU inventory on multiple child
> providers, each representing a different physical GPU (or physical GPU
> group in the case of Xen)"?

I speak about a "vGPU type" because it's how we agreed to have multiple
child RPs.
See
https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/queens/implemented/add-support-for-vgpu.html#proposed-change

For Xen, a vGPU type is a Xen GPU group. For libvirt, it's just a mdev type.
Each pGPU can support multiple types. For the moment, we only support one
type, but my spec ( https://review.openstack.org/#/c/557065/ ) explains
more about that.

-jay