[openstack-dev] [nova] [placement] Upgrade concerns with nested Resource Providers

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu May 31 15:00:20 UTC 2018

On 05/31/2018 05:10 AM, Sylvain Bauza wrote:
> After considering the whole approach, discussing with a couple of folks
> over IRC, here is what I feel the best approach for a seamless upgrade :
>   - VGPU inventory will be kept on root RP (for the first type) in
> Queens so that a compute service upgrade won't impact the DB
>   - during Queens, operators can run a DB online migration script (like
> the ones we currently have in
> https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/c2f42b0/nova/cmd/manage.py#L375)
> that will create a new resource provider for the first type and move the
> inventory and allocations to it.
>   - it's the responsibility of the virt driver code to check whether a
> child RP with its name being the first type name already exists to know
> whether to update the inventory against the root RP or the child RP.
>
> Does it work for folks ?

No, sorry, that doesn't work for me. It seems overly complex and
fragile, especially considering that VGPUs are not moveable anyway (no
support for live migrating them). Same goes for CPU pinning, NUMA
topologies, PCI passthrough devices, SR-IOV PF/VFs and all the other
"must have" features that have been added to the virt driver over the
last 5 years.

My feeling is that we should not attempt to "migrate" any allocations or
inventories between root or child providers within a compute node, period.

The virt drivers should simply error out of update_provider_tree() if
there are ANY existing VMs on the host AND the virt driver wishes to
begin tracking resources with nested providers.

The upgrade operation should look like this:

1) Upgrade placement
2) Upgrade nova-scheduler
3) start loop on compute nodes. for each compute node:
  3a) disable nova-compute service on node (to take it out of scheduling)
  3b) evacuate all existing VMs off of node
  3c) upgrade compute node (on restart, the compute node will see no
      VMs running on the node and will construct the provider tree inside
      update_provider_tree() with an appropriate set of child providers
      and inventories on those child providers)
  3d) enable nova-compute service on node

Which is virtually identical to the "normal" upgrade process whenever
there are significant changes to the compute node -- such as upgrading
libvirt or the kernel. Nested resource tracking is another such
significant change and should be dealt with in a similar way, IMHO.

Best,
-jay