[openstack-dev] [nova] [placement] Upgrade concerns with nested Resource Providers

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Thu May 31 09:10:55 UTC 2018

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 1:06 PM, Balázs Gibizer <balazs.gibizer at ericsson.com
> [...]

>>> value. Could we just report less GPU inventories to the new RP until the
>>> old RP has GPU allocations?
>>>

>> We could keep the old inventory in the root RP for the previous vGPU type
>> already supported in Queens and just add other inventories for other vGPU
>> types now supported. That looks possibly the simpliest option as the virt
>> driver knows that.
>>

> That works for me. Can we somehow deprecate the previous, already
> supported vGPU types to eventually get rid of the splitted inventory?
>

>> Some alternatives from my jetlagged brain:
>>>
>>> a) Implement a move inventory/allocation API in placement. Given a
>>> resource class and a source RP uuid and a destination RP uuid placement
>>> moves the inventory and allocations of that resource class from the source
>>> RP to the destination RP. Then the virt drive can call this API to move the
>>> allocation. This has an impact on the fast forward upgrade as it needs
>>> running virt driver to do the allocation move.
>>>

>> Instead of having the virt driver doing that (TBH, I don't like that
>> given both Xen and libvirt drivers have the same problem), we could write a
>> nova-manage upgrade call for that that would call the Placement API, sure.
>>

> The nova-manage is another possible way similar to my idea #c) but there I
> imagined the logic in placement-manage instead of nova-manage.
>

>> b) For this I assume that live migrating an instance having a GPU
>>> allocation on the old RP will allocate GPU for that instance from the new
>>> RP. In the virt driver do not report GPUs to the new RP while there is
>>> allocation for such GPUs in the old RP. Let the deployer live migrate away
>>> the instances. When the virt driver detects that there is no more GPU
>>> allocations on the old RP it can delete the inventory from the old RP and
>>> report it to the new RP.
>>>

>> For the moment, vGPUs don't support live migration, even within QEMU. I
>> haven't checked that, but IIUC when you live-migrate an instance that have
>> vGPUs, it will just migrate it without recreating the vGPUs.
>>

> If there is no live migration support for vGPUs then this option can be
> ignored.
>

> Now, the problem is with the VGPU allocation, we should delete it then.
>> Maybe a new bug report ?
>>

> Sounds like a bug report to me :)
>

>> c) For this I assume that there is no support for live migration of an
>>> instance having a GPU. If there is GPU allocation in the old RP then virt
>>> driver does not report GPU inventory to the new RP just creates the new
>>> nested RPs. Provide a placement-manage command to do the inventory +
>>> allocation copy from the old RP to the new RP.
>>>

>> what's the difference with the first alternative ?
>>

> I think after you mentioned nova-manage for the first alternative the
> difference became only doing it from nova-manage or from placement-manage.
> The placement-manage solution has the benefit of being a pure DB operation,
> moving inventory and allocation between two RPs while nova-manage would

After considering the whole approach, discussing with a couple of folks
over IRC, here is what I feel the best approach for a seamless upgrade :
 - VGPU inventory will be kept on root RP (for the first type) in Queens so
that a compute service upgrade won't impact the DB
 - during Queens, operators can run a DB online migration script (like the
ones we currently have in
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/c2f42b0/nova/cmd/manage.py#L375)
that will create a new resource provider for the first type and move the
inventory and allocations to it.
 - it's the responsibility of the virt driver code to check whether a child
RP with its name being the first type name already exists to know whether
to update the inventory against the root RP or the child RP.

Does it work for folks ?
PS : we already have the plumbing in place in nova-manage and we're still
managing full Nova resources. I know we plan to move Placement out of the
nova tree, but for the Rocky timeframe, I feel we can consider nova-manage
as the best and quickiest approach for the data upgrade.

-Sylvain