[openstack-dev] [neutron][api][grapql] Proof of Concept

Gilles Dubreuil gdubreui at redhat.com
Thu May 31 07:16:57 UTC 2018

Hi Flint,

I wish it was "my" summit ;)
In the latter case I'd make the sessions an hour and not 20 or 40
minutes, well at least for the Forum part. And I will also make only one
summit a year instead of two (which is also a feed back I got from the
Market place). I've passed that during the user feedback session.

Sorry for not responding earlier, @elmiko is going to send the minutes
of the API SIG forum session we had.

We confirmed Neutron to be the PoC.
We are going to use a feature branch, waiting for Miguel Lavalle to
confirm the request has been acknowledge by the Infra group.
The PoC goal is to show GraphQL efficiency.
So we're going to make something straightforward, use Neutron existing
server by  adding the graphQL endpoint and cover few core items such as
network, subnets and ports (for example).

Also the idea of having a central point of access for OpenStack APIs
using GrahpQL stitching and delegation is exciting for everyone (and I
had obviously same feedback off the session) and that's something that
could happen once the PoC has convinced.

During the meeting, Jiri Tomasek explained how GraphQL could help
TripleO UI. Effectively they struggle with APIs requests and had to
create a middle(ware) module in JS to do API work and reconstruction
before the Javascript client can use it. GraphQL would simplify the
process and allow to get rid of the module. He also explained, after the
meeting, how Horizon could benefit as well, allowing to use only JS and
avoid Django altogether!

I've also been told that Zuul nees GraphQL.

Well basically the question is who doesn't need it?

Cheers,
Gilles

Email: gilles at redhat.com
GitHub/IRC: gildub