[openstack-dev] Winterscale: a proposal regarding the project infrastructure

Joshua Hesketh joshua.hesketh at gmail.com
Thu May 31 01:40:21 UTC 2018

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 2:25 AM, James E. Blair <corvus at inaugust.com> wrote:

> [...]
> other OpenStack Foundation projects (and beyond).  Our community has not
> only produced an amazing cloud infrastructure system, but it has also
> pioneered new tools and techniques for software development and
> collaboration.
>
> For some time it's been apparent that we need to alter the way we run
> services in order to accommodate other Foundation projects.  We've been
> talking about this informally for at least the last several months.  One
> of the biggest sticking points has been a name for the effort.  It seems
> very likely that we will want a new top-level domain for hosting
> multiple projects in a neutral environment (so that people don't have to
> say "hosted on OpenStack's infrastructure").  But finding such a name is
> difficult, and even before we do, we need to talk about it.
>
> I propose we call the overall effort "winterscale".  In the best
> tradition of code names, it means nothing; look for no hidden meaning
> here.  We won't use it for any actual services we provide.  We'll use it
> to refer to the overall effort of restructuring our team and
> infrastructure to provide services to projects beyond OpenStack itself.
> And we'll stop using it when the restructuring effort is concluded.
>
> This is my first proposal: that we acknowledge this effort is underway
> and name it as such.
>
> My second proposal is an organizational structure for this effort.
> First, some goals:
>
> * The infrastructure should be collaboratively run as it is now, and
>   the operational decisions should be made by the core reviewers as
>   they are now.
>
> * Issues of service definition (i.e., what services we offer and how
>   they are used) should be made via a collaborative process including
>   the infrastructure operators and the projects which use it.
>
> To that end, I propose that we:
>
> * Work with the Foundation to create a new effort independent of the
>   OpenStack project with the goal of operating infrastructure for the
>   wider OpenStack Foundation community.
>
> * Work with the Foundation marketing team to help us with the branding
>   and marketing of this effort.
>
> * Establish a "winterscale infrastructure team" (to be renamed)
>   consisting of the current infra-core team members to operate this
>   effort.
>
> * Move many of the git repos currently under the OpenStack project
>   infrastructure team's governance to this new team.
>
> * Establish a "winterscale infrastructure council" (to be renamed) which
>   will govern the services that the team provides by vote.  The council
>   will consist of the PTL of the winterscale infrastructure team and one
>   member from each official OpenStack Foundation project.  Currently, as
>   I understand it, there's only one: OpenStack.  But we expect kata,
>   zuul, and others to be declared official in the not too distant
>   future.  The winterscale representative (the PTL) will have
>   tiebreaking and veto power over council decisions.

So the "winterscale infrastructure council"'s purview is quite limited in
scope to just govern the services provided?

If so, would you foresee a need to maintain some kind of "Infrastructure
council" as it exists at the moment to be the technical design body?

Specifically, wouldn't we still want somewhere for the "winterscale
infrastructure team" to be represented and would that expand to any
infrastructure-related core teams?

Cheers,
Josh