[openstack-dev] Following the new PTI for document build, broken local builds

Stephen Finucane sfinucan at redhat.com
Wed May 30 16:26:20 UTC 2018

On Thu, 2018-04-26 at 15:49 +0100, Stephen Finucane wrote:

> > > The existing proposal is:
> > >
> > > https://review.openstack.org/559348
> > >
> > > TL;DR if you still have a build_sphinx section in setup.cfg then defaults
> > > will remain the same, but when removing it as part of the transition to the
> > > new PTI you'll have to eliminate any warnings. (Although AFAICT it doesn't
> > > hurt to leave that section in place as long as you need, and you can still
> > > do the rest of the PTI conversion.)
> > >
> > > The hold-up is that the job in question is also potentially used by other
> > > Zuul users outside of OpenStack - including those who aren't using pbr at
> > > all (i.e. there's no setup.cfg). So we need to warn those folks to prepare.
> > >
> > > cheers,
> > > Zane.
> > >

> > Ah, I had looked but did not find an existing proposal. Looks like that would
> > work too. I am good either way, but I will leave my approach out there just as
> > another option to consider. I'll abandon that if folks prefer this way.
>
> Yeah, I reviewed your patch but assumed you'd seen mine already and
> were looking for a quicker alternative.
>
> I've started the process of adding this to zuul-jobs by posting the
> warning to zuul-announce (though it's waiting moderation by corvus). We
>  only need to wait two weeks after sending that message before we can
> merge the patch to zuul-jobs, so I guess we should go that way now?
>
> Stephen

This is now merged:

  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/559348/

For anyone that has migrated to the new PTI for documentation (namely,
not using 'python setup.py build_sphinx'), you may find your docs
builds are now broken. This will likely be a result of regressions
introduced since the migration to the new PTI and should be trivial to
resolve. If you have any issues, feel free to jump on #openstack-doc
where one of the lovely docs people will be happy to help.

Cheers,
Stephen

PS: I do realize this has likely incurred some extra work for some
projects. No one likes busy work and I'm sorry to have forced that upon
people but this change was essential to ensure every project could rely
on the gate to actually validate their documentation.