[openstack-dev] [tc][all] A culture change (nitpicking)

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Wed May 30 15:13:41 UTC 2018

On 30/05/18 00:52, Cédric Jeanneret wrote:
>> Another issue is that if the original author needs to rev the patch
>> again for any reason, they then need to figure out how to check out the
>> modified patch. This requires a fairly sophisticated knowledge of both
>> git and gerrit, which isn't a problem for those of us who have been
>> using them for years but is potentially a nightmarish introduction for a
>> relatively new contributor. Sometimes it's the right choice though
>> (especially if the patch owner hasn't been seen for a while).
> hm, "Download" -> copy/paste, and Voilà. Gerrit interface is pretty nice
> with the user (I an "old new contributor", never really struggled with
> Gerrit itself.. On the other hand, heat, ansible, that's another story :) ).

OK, so I am sitting here with a branch containing a patch I have sent
for review, and that I need to revise, but somebody else has pushed a
revision upstream. Which of the 4 'Download' commands do I use to
replace my commit with the latest one from upstream?

(Hint: it's a trick question)

Now imagine it wasn't the last patch in the series.

- ZB

(P.S. without testing, I believe the correct answers are `git reset
--hard FETCH_HEAD` and `git rebase HEAD~<patch_depth> --onto FETCH_HEAD`
respectively.)