[openstack-dev] [TC] Terms of service for hosted projects

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Tue May 29 14:53:03 UTC 2018

We allow various open source projects that are not an official part of
OpenStack or necessarily used by OpenStack to be hosted on OpenStack
infrastructure - previously under the 'StackForge' branding, but now
without separate branding. Do we document anywhere the terms of service
under which we offer such hosting?

It is my understanding that the infra team will enforce the following
conditions when a repo import request is received:

* The repo must be licensed under an OSI-approved open source license.

* If the repo is a fork of another project, there must be (public)
evidence of an attempt to co-ordinate with the upstream first.

Neither of those appears to be documented (specifically,
https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/licensing.html only
specifies licensing requirements for official projects, libraries
imported by official projects, and software used by the Infra team).

In addition, I think we should require projects hosted on our
infrastructure to agree to other policies:

* Adhere to the OpenStack Foundation Code of Conduct.

* Not misrepresent their relationship to the official OpenStack project
or the Foundation. Ideally we'd come up with language that they *can*
use to describe their status, such as "hosted on the OpenStack
infrastructure".

If we don't have place where this kind of thing is documented already,
I'll submit a review adding one. Does anybody have any ideas about a
process for ensuring that projects have read and agreed to the terms
when we add them?

cheers,
Zane.