[openstack-dev] [tc][all] A culture change (nitpicking)

Mohammed Naser mnaser at vexxhost.com
Tue May 29 14:52:04 UTC 2018

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 10:43 AM, Artom Lifshitz <alifshit at redhat.com> wrote:
> I dunno, there's a fine line to be drawn between getting a finished
> product that looks unprofessional (because of typos, English mistakes,
> etc), and nitpicking to the point of smothering and being
> counter-productive. One idea would be that, once the meat of the patch
> has passed multiple rounds of reviews and looks good, and what remains
> is only nits, the reviewer themselves take on the responsibility of
> pushing a new patch that fixes the nits that they found.

I'd just like to point out that what you perceive as a 'finished
product that looks unprofessional' might be already hard enough for a
contributor to achieve.  We have a lot of new contributors coming from
all over the world and it is very discouraging for them to have their
technical knowledge and work be categorized as 'unprofessional'
because of the language barrier.

git-nit and a few minutes of your time will go a long way, IMHO.