[openstack-dev] [tc] Organizational diversity tag

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue May 29 11:59:27 UTC 2018

Mohammed Naser wrote:
> During the TC retrospective at the OpenStack summit last week, the
> topic of the organizational diversity tag is becoming irrelevant was
> brought up by Thierry (ttx)[1].  It seems that for projects that are
> not very active, they can easily lose this tag with a few changes by
> perhaps the infrastructure team for CI related fixes.
>
> As an action item, Thierry and I have paired up in order to look into
> a way to resolve this issue.  There have been ideas to switch this to
> a report that is published at the end of the cycle rather than
> continuously.  Julia (TheJulia) suggested that we change or track
> different types of diversity.
>
> Before we start diving into solutions, I wanted to bring this topic up
> to the mailing list and ask for any suggestions.  In digging the
> codebase behind this[2], I've found that there are some knobs that we
> can also tweak if need-be, or perhaps we can adjust those numbers
> depending on the number of commits.

Right, the issue is that under a given level of team activity, there is
a lot of state flapping between single-vendor, no tag, and
diverse-affiliation. Some isolated events (someone changing affiliation,
a dozen of infra-related changes) end up having a significant impact.

My current thinking was that rather than apply a mathematical rule to
produce quantitative results every month, we could take the time for a
deeper analysis and produce a qualitative report every quarter.

Alternatively (if that's too much work), we could add a new team tag
(low-activity ?) that would appear for all projects where the activity
is so low that the team diversity tags no longer really apply.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)