[openstack-dev] [StarlingX] StarlingX code followup discussions

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Wed May 23 18:25:02 UTC 2018

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 12:58 PM, Julia Kreger
<juliaashleykreger at gmail.com> wrote:
> There is definitely value to be gained for both projects in terms of a
> different point of view that might not have been able to play out in

Ironic is a bit different in this regard to the released code since
there _is_ overlap with the STX Bare Metal service.  There is also
not-overlapping aspects to it.  I would like to talk with you and the
Ironic team at some point about scope and goals for the long term.

> the public community, but since we're dealing with squashed commits of
> changes, it is really hard for us to delineate history/origin of code
> fragments, and without that it makes it near impossible for projects
> to even help them reconcile their technical debt because of that and
> the lacking context surrounding that. It would be so much more
> friendly to the community if we had stacks of patch files that we
> could work with git.

Unfortunately it was a requirement to not release the history.  There
are some bits that we were not allowed to release (for legal reasons,
not open core reasons) that are present in the history.  And yes it is
in most cases unusable to do anything more than browse for pulling
things upstream.

What I did manage to get was permission to publish the individual
commits on top of the upstream base that do not run afoul of the legal
issues.  Given that this is all against Pike and we need to propose to
master first, they are not likely directly usable but the information
needed for the upstream work will be available.  These have not been
cleaned up yet but I plan to add them directly to the repos containing
the squashes as they are done.

> Can I add myself to the list of confused people wanting to understand
> better? I can see and understand value, but context and understanding
> as to why as I mentioned above is going to be the main limiter for
> interaction.

I have heard multiple reasons why this has been done, this is one area
I am not going to go into detail about other than the stuff that has
been cleared and released.  Understanding (some) business decisions
are not one of my strengths.

I will say that my opinion from working with WRS for a few months is
they do truly want to form a community around StarlingX and will be
moving their ongoing Titanium development there.

dt

--

Dean Troyer
dtroyer at gmail.com