[openstack-dev] [tripleo][ci][infra] Quickstart Branching

Alex Schultz aschultz at redhat.com
Wed May 23 16:04:57 UTC 2018

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 8:30 AM, Sagi Shnaidman <sshnaidm at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi, Sergii
>
> thanks for the question. It's not first time that this topic is raised and
> from first view it could seem that branching would help to that sort of
> issues.
>
> Although it's not the case. Tripleo-quickstart(-extras) is part of CI code,
> as well as tripleo-ci repo which have never been branched. The reason for
> that is relative small impact on CI code from product branching. Think about
> backport almost *every* patch to oooq and extras to all supported branches,
> down to newton at least. This will be a really *huge* price and non
> reasonable work. Just think about active maintenance of 3-4 versions of CI
> code in each of 3 repositories. It will take all time of CI team with almost
> zero value of this work.

So I'm not sure I completely agree with this assessment as there is a
price paid for every {%if release in [...]%} that we have to carry in
oooq{,-extras}.  These go away if we branch because we don't have to
worry about breaking previous releases or current release (which may
or may not actually have CI results).

> What regards patch you listed, we would have backport this change to *every*
> branch, and it wouldn't really help to avoid the issue. The source of
> problem is not branchless repo here.

No we shouldn't be backporting every change.  The logic in oooq-extras
should be version specific and if we're changing an interface in
tripleo in a breaking fashion we're doing it wrong in tripleo. If
we're backporting things to work around tripleo issues, we're doing it
wrong in quickstart.

> Regarding catching such issues and Bogdans point, that's right we added a
> few jobs to catch such issues in the future and prevent breakages, and a few
> running jobs is reasonable price to keep configuration working in all
> branches. Comparing to maintenance nightmare with branches of CI code, it's
> really a *zero* price.

Nothing is free. If there's a high maintenance cost, we haven't
properly identified the optimal way to separate functionality between
tripleo/quickstart.  I have repeatedly said that the provisioning
parts of quickstart should be separate because those aren't tied to a
tripleo version and this along with the scenario configs should be the
only unbranched repo we have. Any roles related to how to
configure/work with tripleo should be branched and tied to a stable
branch of tripleo. This would actually be beneficial for tripleo as
well because then we can see when we are introducing backwards
incompatible changes.

Thanks,
-Alex