[openstack-dev] [docs] Automating documentation the tripleo way?

Roger Luethi rl at patchworkscience.org
Thu May 17 09:14:39 UTC 2018

On 16.05.18 20:40, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> Weren't the folks doing the training-labs or training-guides taking a
> similar approach? IIRC, they ended up implementing what amounted to
> their own installer for OpenStack, and then ended up with all of the
> associated upgrade and testing burden.

training-labs uses its own installer because the project goal is to do
the full deployment (that is, including the creation of appropriate VMs)
in an automated fashion on all supported platforms (Linux, macOS,
Windows). The scripts that are injected into the VMs follow the
install-guide as closely as possible. We were pretty close to automating
the translation from install-guide docs to shell scripts, but some
issues remained (e.g., some scripts need guards waiting for services to
come up in order to avoid race conditions; this is not documented in the
install-guide).

Roger