[openstack-dev] [tripleo] [barbican] [tc] key store in base services

Bogdan Dobrelya bdobreli at redhat.com
Thu May 17 08:18:11 UTC 2018

On 5/17/18 9:58 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Jeremy Stanley wrote:
>> [...]
>> As a community, we're likely to continue to make imbalanced
>> trade-offs against relevant security features if we don't move
>> forward and declare that some sort of standardized key storage
>> solution is a fundamental component on which OpenStack services can
>> rely. Being able to just assume that you can encrypt volumes in
>> Swift, even as a means to further secure a TripleO undercloud, would
>> be a step in the right direction for security-minded deployments.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I'm unable to find any follow-up summary on the
>> mailing list from the aforementioned session, but recollection from
>> those who were present (I had a schedule conflict at that time) was
>> that a Castellan-compatible key store would at least be a candidate
>> for inclusion in our base services list:
>>
>> https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/base-services.html
>
> Yes, last time this was discussed, there was lazy consensus that adding
> "a Castellan-compatible secret store" would be a good addition to the
> base services list if we wanted to avoid proliferation of half-baked
> keystore implementations in various components.
>
> The two blockers were:
>
> 1/ castellan had to be made less Barbican-specific, offer at least one
> other secrets store (Vault), and move under Oslo (done)

Back to the subject and tripleo underclouds running Barbican, using
vault as a backend may be a good option, given that openshift supports
[0] it as well for storing k8s secrets, and kubespray does [1] for
vanilla k8s deployments, and that we have openshift/k8s-based control
plane for openstack on the integration roadmap. So we'll highly likely
end up running Barbican/Vault on undercloud anyway.

[0] https://blog.openshift.com/managing-secrets-openshift-vault-integration/
[1]
https://github.com/kubernetes-incubator/kubespray/blob/master/docs/vault.md

--