[openstack-dev] [cyborg] [nova] Cyborg quotas

Alex Xu soulxu at gmail.com
Thu May 17 01:38:51 UTC 2018

> On 05/16/2018 01:01 PM, Nadathur, Sundar wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>     The Cyborg quota spec [1] proposes to implement a quota (maximum
>> usage) for accelerators on a per-project basis, to prevent one project
>> (tenant) from over-using some resources and starving other tenants. There
>> are separate resource classes for different accelerator types (GPUs, FPGAs,
>> etc.), and so we can do quotas per RC.
>>
>> The current proposal [2] is to track the usage in Cyborg agent/driver. I
>> am not sure that scheme will work, as I have indicated in the comments on
>> [1]. Here is another possible way.
>>
>>   * The operator configures the oslo.limit in keystone per-project
>>     per-resource-class (GPU, FPGA, ...).
>>       o Until this gets into Keystone, Cyborg may define its own quota
>>         table, as defined in [1].
>>   * Cyborg implements a table to track per-project usage, as defined in
>> [1].
>>

> Placement already stores usage information for all allocations of
> resources. There is already even a /usages API endpoint that you can
> specify a project and/or user:
>
> https://developer.openstack.org/api-ref/placement/#list-usages
>
> I see no reason not to use it.
>
> There is already actually a spec to use placement for quota usage checks
> in Nova here:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/509042/

FYI, I'm working on a spec which append to that spec. It's about counting
quota for the resource class(GPU, custom RC, etc) other than nova built-in
resources(cores, ram). It should be able to count the resource classes
which are used by cyborg. But yes, we probably should answer Matt's
question first, whether we should let Nova count quota instead of Cyborg.