[openstack-dev] [docs] Style guide for OpenStack documentation

Petr Kovar pkovar at redhat.com
Wed May 16 16:24:45 UTC 2018

Hi all,

For OpenStack documentation contributors, we provide a basic style guide
that describes most important guidelines for writing, user interface
guidelines, and RST conventions:

https://docs.openstack.org/doc-contrib-guide/writing-style.html
https://docs.openstack.org/doc-contrib-guide/user-guidelines.html
https://docs.openstack.org/doc-contrib-guide/rst-conv.html

In these documents, we also refer to the printed IBM Style Guide for more
information. While this is a standard resource used by many technical
writers, we no longer have a group of dedicated writers working on our docs.
Also, the IBM Style Guide is not available online for free, making it
inaccessible to many in the community.

I'd like to propose replacing the reference to the IBM Style Guide with a
reference to the developerWorks editorial style guide
(https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/styleguidelines/). This
lightweight version comes from the same company and is based on the same
guidelines, but most importantly, it is available for free.

Any objections to this?

A related change:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/562310/

I hope this change will make it much easier for our docs contributors to
consult style guidelines.

Thanks,
pk