[openstack-dev] [docs] Automating documentation the tripleo way?

Petr Kovar pkovar at redhat.com
Wed May 16 15:39:14 UTC 2018

Hi all,

In the past few years, we've seen several efforts aimed at automating
procedural documentation, mostly centered around the OpenStack
installation guide. This idea to automatically produce and verify
installation steps or similar procedures was mentioned again at the last
Summit (https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/SYD-install-guide-testing).

It was brought to my attention that the tripleo team has been working on
automating some of the tripleo deployment procedures, using a Bash script
with included comment lines to supply some RST-formatted narrative, for
example:

https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-quickstart-extras/blob/master/roles/overcloud-prep-images/templates/overcloud-prep-images.sh.j2

The Bash script can then be converted to RST, e.g.:

https://thirdparty.logs.rdoproject.org/jenkins-tripleo-quickstart-queens-rdo_trunk-baremetal-dell_fc430_envB-single_nic_vlans-27/docs/build/

Source Code:

https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-quickstart-extras/tree/master/roles/collect-logs

I really liked this approach and while I don't want to sound like selling
other people's work, I'm wondering if there is still an interest among the
broader OpenStack community in automating documentation like this?

Thanks,
pk