[openstack-dev] psycopg2 wheel packaging issues

Stephen Finucane sfinucan at redhat.com
Tue May 15 10:44:11 UTC 2018

I imagine most people have been seeing warnings like the one below
raised by various openstack packages recently:

  .tox/py27/lib/python2.7/site-packages/psycopg2/__init__.py:144: UserWarning: The psycopg2
  wheel package will be renamed from release 2.8; in order to keep installing from binary
  please use "pip install psycopg2-binary" instead. For details see:
  <http://initd.org/psycopg/docs/install.html#binary-install-from-pypi>.

Based on this warning, I had done what seemed to be the obvious thing
to do and proposed adding psycopg2-binary to the list of global
requirements [1]. This would allow us to replace all references to
psycopg2 with psycopg2-wheel in individual projects. However, upon
further investigation it seems this is not really an option since the
two packages exist in the same namespace and will clobber each other.
I've now abandoned this patch.

Does anyone with stronger Python packaging-fu than I have a better
solution for the psycopg2 folks? There's a detailed description of why
this was necessary on GitHub [2] along with some potential resolutions,
none of which seem to be acceptable. If nothing better is possible, it
seems we'll simply have to live with (or silence) these warnings in
psycopg2 2.7.x and start installing libpg again once 2.8 is released.

Cheers,
Stephen

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/561924/
[2] https://github.com/psycopg/psycopg2/issues/674