[openstack-dev] [ci][infra][tripleo] Multi-staged check pipelines for Zuul v3 proposal

Bogdan Dobrelya bdobreli at redhat.com
Tue May 15 08:43:10 UTC 2018

On 5/14/18 9:15 PM, Sagi Shnaidman wrote:
> Hi, Bogdan
>
> I like the idea with undercloud job. Actually if undercloud fails, I'd
> stop all other jobs, because it doens't make sense to run them. Seeing
> the same failure in 10 jobs doesn't add too much. So maybe adding
> undercloud job as dependency for all multinode jobs would be great idea.

I like that idea, I'll add another patch in the topic then.

> I think it's worth to check also how long it will delay jobs. Will all
> jobs wait until undercloud job is running? Or they will be aborted when
> undercloud job is failing?

That is is a good question for openstack-infra folks developing zuul :)
But, we could just try it and see how it works, happily zuul v3 allows
doing that just in the scope of proposed patches! My expectation is all
jobs delayed (and I mean the main zuul pipeline execution time here) by
an average time of the undercloud deploy job of ~80 min, which hopefully
should not be a big deal given that there is a separate RDO CI pipeline
running in parallel, which normally *highly likely* extends that
extended time anyway :) And given high chances of additional 'recheck
rdo' runs we can observe these days for patches on review. I wish we
could introduce inter-pipeline dependencies (zuul CI <-> RDO CI) for
those as well...

> However I'm very sceptical about multinode containers and scenarios
> jobs, they could fail because of very different reasons, like race
> conditions in product or infra issues. Having skipping some of them will
> lead to more rechecks from devs trying to discover all problems in a
> row, which will delay the development process significantly.

right, I roughly estimated delay for the main zuul pipeline execution
time for jobs might be a ~2.5h, which is not good. We could live with
that had it be a ~1h only, like it takes for the undercloud containers
job dependency example.

> [...]
>         <https://docs.openstack.org/infra/zuul/user/config.html#attr-job.dependencies>
>         for how to configure a job to run only after another job has
>         completed.
>         There is also a facility to pass data between such jobs.
>
>         ... (skipped) ...
>
>         Creating a job graph to have one job use the results of the
>         previous job
>         can make sense in a lot of cases.  It doesn't always save *time*
>         however.
>
>         It's worth noting that in OpenStack's Zuul, we have made an explicit
>         choice not to have long-running integration jobs depend on
>         shorter pep8
>         or tox jobs, and that's because we value developer time more
>         than CPU
>         time.  We would rather run all of the tests and return all of the
>         results so a developer can fix all of the errors as quickly as
>         possible,
>         rather than forcing an iterative workflow where they have to fix
>         all the
>         whitespace issues before the CI system will tell them which
>         actual tests
>         broke.
>
>         -Jim
>

>     I proposed a few zuul dependencies [0], [1] to tripleo CI pipelines
>     for undercloud deployments vs upgrades testing (and some more).
>     Given that those undercloud jobs have not so high fail rates though,
>     I think Emilien is right in his comments and those would buy us nothing.
>
>      From the other side, what do you think folks of making the
>     tripleo-ci-centos-7-3nodes-multinode depend on
>     tripleo-ci-centos-7-containers-multinode [2]? The former seems quite
>     faily and long running, and is non-voting. It deploys (see
>     featuresets configs [3]*) a 3 nodes in HA fashion. And it seems
>     almost never passing, when the containers-multinode fails - see the
>     CI stats page [4]. I've found only a 2 cases there for the otherwise
>     situation, when containers-multinode fails, but 3nodes-multinode
>     passes. So cutting off those future failures via the dependency
>     added, *would* buy us something and allow other jobs to wait less to
>     commence, by a reasonable price of somewhat extended time of the
>     main zuul pipeline. I think it makes sense and that extended CI time
>     will not overhead the RDO CI execution times so much to become a
>     problem. WDYT?
>
>     [0] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/568275/
>     <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/568275/>
>     [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/568278/
>     <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/568278/>
>     [2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/568326/
>     <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/568326/>
>     [3]
>     https://docs.openstack.org/tripleo-quickstart/latest/feature-configuration.html
>     <https://docs.openstack.org/tripleo-quickstart/latest/feature-configuration.html>
>     [4] http://tripleo.org/cistatus.html <http://tripleo.org/cistatus.html>
>
>     * ignore the column 1, it's obsolete, all CI jobs now using configs

Best regards,
Bogdan Dobrelya,
Irc #bogdando