[openstack-dev] [all] Topics for the Board+TC+UC meeting in Vancouver

Jimmy McArthur jimmy at openstack.org
Fri May 11 19:28:30 UTC 2018

Fox, Kevin M wrote:
> Who are your users, what do they need, are you meeting those needs, and what can you do to better things?
>
> IMO, OpenStack really needs some Leadership at a higher level. It seems to be lacking some things:
> 1. A group that performs... lacking a good word.... reconnaissance? How is OpenStack fairing in the world. How is the world changing and how must OpenStack change to continue to be relevant. If you don't know you have a problem you can't correct it.
> 2. A group that decides some difficult political things, like who the users are. Maybe at a per constellation level. This does not mean rejecting use cases from "non users". just helping the projects sort out priorities.
> 3. A group that decides on a general direction for OpenStack's technical solutions, encourages building up the commons, helps break down the project communication walls and picks homes for features when it takes too long for a user need to be met (users really don't care what OpenStack project does what feature. They just that they are suffering, things don't get addressed in a timely manner, and will maybe consider looking outside of OpenStack for a solution)
This is a big reason we're excited that the Ops & Users Meetup are
co-locating at the next PTG.  Some of the breakdown is getting
actionable items from Ops Meetups and UC back to the devs in time for
the next development cycle.

> The current governance structure is focused on hoping the individual projects will look at the big picture and adjust to it, and commit the relevant common code to the commons rather then one-offing a solution and discussing solutions between projects to gain consensus. But that's generally not happening. The projects have a narrow view of the world and just wanna make progress on their code. I get that. The other bits are hard. Guidance to the projects on how they are are, or are not fitting, would help them make better choices and better code.
Keep in mind, UC also has governance :)  I think it's really important
to start looking to the UC to help craft the big picture and be part of
the conversation. This serves the purpose of getting Ops & Devs working
together towards a better OpenStack.  It also helps broaden the
perspective of everyone involved in the project, from all sides.