[openstack-dev] [horizon] Scheduling switch to django >= 2.0

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Fri May 11 15:14:33 UTC 2018

Hi zigo and horizon plugin maintainers,

Horizon itself already supports Django 2.0 and horizon unit test covers
Django 2.0 with Python 3.5.

A question to all is whether we change the upper bound of Django from <2.0
to <2.1.
My proposal is to bump the upper bound of Django to <2.1 in Rocky-2.
(Note that Django 1.11 will continue to be used for python 2.7 environment.)

There are several points we should consider:
- If we change it in global-requirements.txt, it means Django 2.0 will be
used for python3.5 environment.
- Not a small number of horizon plugins still do not support Django 2.0, so
bumping the upper bound to <2.1 will break their py35 tests.
- From my experience of Django 2.0 support in some plugins, the required
changes are relatively simple like [1].

I created an etherpad page to track Django 2.0 support in horizon plugins.
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/django20-support

I proposed Django 2.0 support patches to several projects which I think are
major.
# Do not blame me if I don't cover your project :)

Thought?

Thanks,
Akihiro

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/566476/