[openstack-dev] [nova] nova-manage cell_v2 map_instances uses invalid UUID as marker in the db

melanie witt melwittt at gmail.com
Thu May 10 20:48:39 UTC 2018

On Thu, 10 May 2018 11:48:31 -0700, Dan Smith wrote:
> We already store values in this field that are not 8-4-4-4-12, and the
> oslo field warning is just a warning. If people feel like we need to do
> something, I propose we just do this:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/567669/
>
> It is one of those "we normally wouldn't do this with object schemas,
> but we know this is okay" sort of situations.

I'm in favor of this "solution" because, as you mentioned earlier,
project_id/user_id aren't supposed to be restricted to UUID-only or 36
characters anyway -- they come from the identity service and could be
any string. We've been good about keeping with String(255) in the
database schema for project_id/user_id originating from the identity
service.

And, I noticed Instance.project_id is a StringField too [1]. Really,
IMHO we should be consistent with this field type among the various
objects for project_id/user_id.

Best,
-melanie

[1]