[openstack-dev] [qa][release][ironic][requirements] hacking 1.1.0 released and ironic CI gates failing pep8

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue May 8 17:23:42 UTC 2018

(I added the [qa] topic tag for the QA team, since they own hacking, and
[requirements] for that team since I have a question about capping.)

Excerpts from Julia Kreger's message of 2018-05-08 12:43:07 -0400:
> About two hours ago, we started seeing Ironic CI jobs failing pep8
> with new errors[1]. For some of our repositories, it just seems to be
> a couple of lines that need to be fixed. On ironic itself, supporting
> this might have us dead in the water for a while to fix the code in
> accordance with what hacking is now expecting.
>
> That being said, dtantsur and dhellmann have the perception that new
> checks are supposed to be opt-in only, yet this new hacking appears to
> have at W605 and W606 enabled by default as indicated by discussion in
> #openstack-release[2].
>
> Please advise, it seems like the release team ought to revert the
> breaking changes and cut a new release as soon as possible.
>
> -Julia
>
> [1]: http://logs.openstack.org/87/557687/4/check/openstack-tox-pep8/75380de/job-output.txt.gz#_2018-05-08_14_46_47_179606
> [2]: http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-release/%23openstack-release.2018-05-08.log.html#t2018-05-08T16:30:22

As discussed in #openstack-release, those checks are pulled in via
pycodestyle rather than hacking itself, and pycodestyle doesn't have an
opt-in policy.

Hacking is in the blacklist for requirements management, so teams
*ought* to be able to cap it, if I understand correctly. So I suggest at
least starting with a patch to test that.

Doug