[openstack-dev] [nova][placement] Trying to summarize bp/glance-image-traits scheduling alternatives for rebuild

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Wed May 2 13:57:22 UTC 2018

On 4/24/2018 8:26 AM, Sylvain Bauza wrote:
> We also have pre-flight checks for move operations like live and cold
> migrations, and I'd really like to keep all the conditionals in the
> conductor, because it knows better than the scheduler which operation is
> asked.

I'm not sure what "pre-flight checks" we have for cold migration. The
conductor migrate task asks the scheduler for a host and then casts to
the destination compute to start the migration.

The conductor live migration task does do some checking on the source
and dest computes before proceeding, I agree with you there.

 > I'm not really happy with adding more in the scheduler about "yeah,
it's a rebuild, so please do something exceptional"

Agree that building more special rebuild logic into the scheduler isn't
ideal and hopefully we could resolve this in conductor if possible,
despite the fact that ImagePropertiesFilter is optional (although I'm
pretty sure everyone enables it).

Matt