[openstack-dev] [requirements] Adding objgraph to global requirements

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Fri Mar 30 17:52:29 UTC 2018

On Mar 30, 2018, at 4:08 AM, Renat Akhmerov <renat.akhmerov at gmail.com <mailto:renat.akhmerov at gmail.com>> wrote:

> On 29 Mar 2018, 20:20 +0700, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com <mailto:doug at doughellmann.com>>, wrote:
>
>> What sorts of tools are you talking about building?
>
> Well, some more high level functions to diagnose memory usage, especially aids to help find memory leaks. Or not even necessary memory leaks, we may also want/need to reduce the memory footprint. Although objgraph is very helpful on its own it is still pretty low level and, for example, if we want to inject some diagnostic message somewhere in the code (e.g. “top 5 object types whose total size increased memory consumption since the last call”) we’d have to directly invoke objgraph and remember what exact parameters to use to achieve that. I think it’d be more convenient to have some more high-level functions that already encapsulate all necessary logic related to using objgraph and achieve what’s needed. Also, I wouldn’t want to spread out uses of objgraph all of the code, I would better have one module that uses it. Just to reduce coupling with a 3rd party lib.
>
> Sorry if that sounds too abstract now, I’ll try to come with concrete examples to demonstrate what I mean.
>
> Renat

It sounds like you have ideas for things that could either live in objgraph directly or a new library that wraps objgraph. Either way I think it’s a good idea to build something concrete so we can see the impact of integrating it.

You might want to have a look at oslo.reports as an integration point.

Doug