[openstack-dev] [ironic] baremetal firmware lifecycle management

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Fri Mar 30 16:14:29 UTC 2018

We've experienced different firmware update approaches.. this is a wish list rather than a requirement since in the end, it can all be scripted if needed. Currently, these are manpower intensive and require a lot of co-ordination since the upgrade operation has to be performed by the hardware support team but the end user defines the intervention window.

a. Some BMC updates can be applied out of band, over the network with appropriate BMC rights. It would be very nice if Ironic could orchestrate these updates since they can be painful to organise. One aspect of this would be for Ironic to orchestrate the updates and keep track of success/failure along with the current version of the BMC firmware (maybe as a property?). Typical example of this is when a security flaw is found in a particular hardware model BMC and we want to update to the latest version given an image provided by the vendor.

b. A set of machines have been delivered but an incorrect BIOS setting is found. We want to reflash the BIOSes with the latest BIOS code/settings. This would generally be an operation requiring a reboot. We would ask our users to follow a procedure at their convenience to do so (within a window) and then we would force the change. An inventory of the current version would help to identify those who do not do the update and remind them.

c. A disk firmware issue is found. Similar to b) but there is also the possibility for partial completion where some disks correctly update but others not.

Overall, it would be great if we can find a way to allow self service hardware management where the end users can choose the right point to follow the firmware update process within a window and then we can force the upgrade if they do not do so.

Tim