[openstack-dev] [Vitrage] New proposal for analysis.

MinWookKim delightwook at ssu.ac.kr
Wed Mar 28 02:21:25 UTC 2018

Hello Ifat,

Thanks for your reply. : )

This proposal is a proposal that we expect to be useful from a user
perspective.

>From a manager's point of view, we need an implementation that minimizes
the overhead incurred by the proposal.

The answers to some of your questions are:

•      I assume that these checks will not be implemented in Vitrage, and
the results will not be stored in Vitrage, right? Vitrage role is to be a
place where it is easy and intuitive for the user to execute external
actions/checks.

Yes, that's right. We do not need to save it to Vitrage because we just
need to check the results.

However, it is possible to implement the function directly in
Vitrage-dashboard separately from Vitrage like add-action-list panel,

but it seems that it is not enough to implement all the functions.

If you do not mind, we will have the following flow.

1. The user requests the check action from the vitrage-dashboard
(add-action-list-panel).
2. Call the check component through the vitrage's API handler.
3. The check component executes the command and returns the result.

Because it is my opinion only, please tell us if there is an unnecessary
part. :)

•      Do you expect the user to click an entity, select an action to run
(e.g. ‘P2P check’), and wait by the open panel for the results? What if the
user switches to another menu before the check is done? What if the user
asks to run an additional check in parallel? What if the user wants to see
again a previous result?

My idea was to select the task, wait for the results in an open panel, and
then instantly see it in the panel.

If we switch to another menu before the scan is complete, we will not be
able to see the results.
Parallel checking is a matter of fact. (This can cause excessive overhead.)
For earlier results, it may be okay to temporarily save the open panel
until we exit the panel. We can see the previous results through the
temporary saved results.

•      Any thoughts of what component will implement those checks? Or maybe
these will be just scripts?

I think I implement a separate component to request it.

•      It could be nice if, as a result of an action check, a new alarm
will be raised in Vitrage. A specific alarm with the additional details that
were found. However, it might not be trivial to implement it. We could think
about it as phase #2.

It is expected to be really good. It would be very useful if an
Entity-Graph generates an alarm based on the check result.

I think that part will be able to talk in detail later.

My answer is my opinions and assumptions.

If you think my implementation is wrong, or an inefficient implementation,
please do not hesitate to tell me.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Minwook.