[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Updates on containerized undercloud

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Sun Mar 25 19:04:52 UTC 2018

This is an update on what has been achieved the last month with the regard
of Containerized Undercloud efforts in TripleO:

## CI
- Running OVB (ovs-ha, fs001) with a containerized undercloud: it finally
works, with some workarounds, all work in progress.
Results can be seen here:
https://logs.rdoproject.org/56/542556/79/openstack-check/
gate-tripleo-ci-centos-7-ovb-3ctlr_1comp-featureset001-master/
Ze1390e6e0df54a88836d75316da4b206/console.txt.gz#_2018-03-24_06_07_23_171
List of workarounds/blockers:
* we need a new release of python-openstackclient that includes
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/553374/ and therefore we need
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/553026/
* container workflow to be finished (sbaker is on it) (in the meantime
we're loading envs in quickstart).
* masquerading workaround: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/553620 (long
term solution will be https://review.openstack.org/#/c/553427/ but still
WIP)
Once we clear the workarounds/blockers and have a clean / stable
deployment, we'll switch featureset001 (ovb-ha) to deploy a containerized
undercloud. The target was end of rocky-m1 and we still aim for it.

- Running an CI job that test upgrades from a non containerized undercloud
on Queens to a containerized undercloud on Rocky. Work is in progress and
can be monitored here: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/553633/
Special thanks to the Upgrade squads who help a lot on that front!

## Upgrades support
We said we would provide a way to upgrade a non containerized undercloud to
a containerized undercloud by rocky-m1 and we still aim for it.
This is a demo of an upgrade from Queens (non containerized) to Rocky
(containerized): https://youtu.be/5gLKL3YkC2c
We'll wait a bit for feedback from the demo and start documenting. Note
that most of the workflow remains the same as before (we still use
openstack undercloud upgrade command).
We'll also continue to push efforts to have this workflow tested by the CI
job in progress.

## Other items
- TripleO UI has been containerized.
- Routed networks is still in progress by Harald (we probably aim for
rocky-m2 now).
- We're investigating some way to validate than an upgrade to a
containerized undercloud worked fine (with Ansible?). More to come.
- Containerization of Tempest so we can run Tempest against a containerized
undercloud and also investigate how we could switch CI scenarios to be
deployed on one node.
- Port the TLS by default done in instack-undercloud.

Any feedback or help on testing is very welcome.
All efforts can be seen here: https://trello.com/b/nmGSNPoQ/containerized-
undercloud

Thanks everyone who helped in these efforts so far!

--
Emilien Macchi