[openstack-dev] [nova] Review runways this cycle

Eric Fried openstack at fried.cc
Thu Mar 22 18:26:48 UTC 2018

> I think the only concern around moving spec freeze out would be that I
> thought the original purpose of the spec freeze was to set expectations
> early about what was approved and not approved instead of having folks
> potentially in the situation where it's technically "maybe" for a large
> chunk of the cycle. I'm not sure which most people prefer -- would you
> rather know early and definitively whether your blueprint is
> approved/not approved or would you rather have the opportunity to get
> approval during a larger window in the cycle and not know definitively
> early on? Can anyone else chime in here?

This is a fair point.

Putting specs into runways doesn't imply (re)moving spec freeze IMO.
It's just a way to get us using runways RIGHT NOW, so that folks with
ready specs can get reviewed sooner, know whether they're approved
sooner, write their code sooner, and get their *code* into an earlier
runway.

A spec in a runway would be treated like anything else: reviewers focus
on it and the author needs to be available to respond quickly to feedback.

I would expect the ratio of specs:code in runways to start off high and
dwindle rapidly as we approach spec freeze.

It's worth pointing out that there's not an expectation for people to
work more/harder when runways are in play.  Just that it increases the
chances of more people looking at the same things at the same time; and
allows us to bring focus to things that might otherwise languish in
ignoreland.

efried