[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Recap of Python 3 testing session at PTG

Javier Pena jpena at redhat.com
Tue Mar 20 17:28:45 UTC 2018

----- Original Message -----

> During the PTG we had some nice conversations about how TripleO can make
> progress on testing OpenStack deployments with Python 3.
> In CC, Haikel, Alfredo and Javier, please complete if I missed something.

> ## Goal

> As an OpenStack distribution, RDO would like to ensure that the OpenStack
> services (which aren't depending on Python 2) are packaged and can be
> containerized to be tested in TripleO CI.

> ## Challenges

> - Some services aren't fully Python 3, but we agreed this was not our problem
> but the project's problems. However, as a distribution, we'll make sure to
> ship what we can on Python 3.
> - CentOS 7 is not the Python 3 distro and there are high expectations from
> the next release but we aren't there yet.
> - Fedora is Python 3 friendly but we don't deploy TripleO on Fedora, and we
> don't want to do it (for now at least).

> ## Proposal

> - Continue to follow upstream projects who support Python3 only and ship rpms
> in RDO.
> - Investigate the build of Kolla containers on Fedora / Python 3 and push
> them to a registry (maybe in the same namespace with different name or maybe
> a new namespace).
> - Kick-off some TripleO CI experimental job that will use these containers to
> deploy TripleO (maybe on one basic scenario for now).

One point we should add here: to test Python 3 we need some base operating system to work on. For now, our plan is to create a set of stabilized Fedora 28 repositories and use them only for CI jobs. See [1] for details on this plan.

Regards,
Javier

[1] - https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/stabilized-fedora-repositories-for-openstack