[openstack-dev] [Openstack-sigs] [all][api] POST /api-sig/news

Gilles Dubreuil gdubreui at redhat.com
Tue Mar 20 09:34:08 UTC 2018

On 20/03/18 08:26, Michael McCune wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 4:55 AM, Chris Dent <cdent+os at anticdent.org
> <mailto:cdent+os at anticdent.org>> wrote:
>
>     <snip>
>
>         So summarize and clarify, we are talking about SDK being able
>         to build their interface to Openstack APIs in an automated way
>         but statically from API Schema generated by every project.
>         Such API Schema is already built in memory during API
>         reference documentation generation and could be saved in JSON
>         format (for instance) (see [5]).
>

>     What do you see as the current roadblocks preventing this work from
>     continuing to make progress?
>

> Gilles, i'm very curious about how we can help as well.
>
> i am keenly interested in the api-schema work that is happening and i
> am coming up to speed with the work that Graham has done, and which
> previously existed, on os-api-ref. although i don't have a *ton* of
> spare free time, i would like to help as much as i can.

Hi Michael,

Thank you very much for jumping in. Your interest shows the demand for
such feature, which is what we need the most at the moment. The more
people the better the momentum and likelihood of getting more help.
Let's blow the horn!

As you probably already know, the real work is Graham's PR [1] where the
magic is going to happen and where you can help.
Graham who has been involved and working with the Sphinx library offered
to 'dump' the API schema which is already in memory, what I call the
de-facto API Schema, which is needed to generate the API Reference
guides. So instead of asking developers of each project to change their
habits and write an API schema up front, it seemed easier to just use
the current work flow in place with the documentation (API Ref) and
generate the API schema which can be stored in every project Git.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/528801

Cheers,
Gilles