[openstack-dev] [nova] New image backend: StorPool

melanie witt melwittt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 16:23:11 UTC 2018

On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 17:33:30 +0200, Peter Penchev wrote:
> Would there be any major opposition to adding a StorPool shared
> storage image backend, so that our customers are not limited to
> volume-backed instances?  Right now, creating a StorPool volume and
> snapshot from a Glance image and then booting instances from that
> snapshot works great, but in some cases, including some provisioning
> and accounting systems on top of OpenStack, it would be preferable to
> go the Nova way and let the hypervisor think that it has a local(ish)
> image to work with, even though it's on shared storage anyway.

Can you be more specific about what is limiting you when you use
volume-backed instances? We've been kicking around the idea of beefing
up support of boot-from-volume in nova such that "automatic
boot-from-volume for instance create" works well enough that we could
consider boot-from-volume the first-class way to support the vast
variety of cinder storage backends and let cinder handle the details
instead of trying to re-implement support of various storage backends in
nova on a selective basis. I'd like to better understand what is lacking
for you when you use boot-from-volume to leverage StorPool and determine
whether it's something we could address in nova.

Cheers,
-melanie