[openstack-dev] [nova][placement] update_provider_tree design updates

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Thu Mar 15 19:29:02 UTC 2018

On Thu, 15 Mar 2018, Eric Fried wrote:

> One of the takeaways from the Queens retrospective [1] was that we
> should be summarizing discussions that happen in person/hangout/IRC/etc.
> to the appropriate mailing list for the benefit of those who weren't
> present (or paying attention :P ).  This is such a summary.

Thank you _very_ much for doing this. I've got two questions within.

> ...which we discussed earlier this week in IRC [4][5].  We concluded:
>
> - Compute is the source of truth for any and all traits it could ever
> assign, which will be a subset of what's in os-traits, plus whatever
> CUSTOM_ traits it stakes a claim to.  If an outside agent sets a trait
> that's in that list, compute can legitimately remove it.  If an outside
> agent removes a trait that's in that list, compute can reassert it.

Where does that list come from? Or more directly how does Compute
stake the claim for "mine"?

How does an outside agent know what Compute has claimed? Presumably
they want to know that so they can avoid wastefully doing something
that's going to get clobbered?