[openstack-dev] [nova] Rocky PTG summary - cells

Zhenyu Zheng zhengzhenyulixi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 01:54:59 UTC 2018

Thanks for the recap, got one question for the "block creation":

  * An attempt to create an instance should be blocked if the project has
> instances in a "down" cell (the instance_mappings table has a "project_id"
> column) because we cannot count instances in "down" cells for the quota
> check.

Since users are not aware of any cell information, and the cells are mostly
randomly selected, there could be high possibility that users(projects)
instances are equally spreaded across cells. The proposed behavior seems can
easily cause a lot of users couldn't create instances because one of the
cells is down, isn't it too rude?

BR,

Kevin Zheng