[openstack-dev] [ironic] PTG Summary

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Mon Mar 12 12:08:57 UTC 2018

Inline.

On 03/12/2018 01:00 PM, Tim Bell wrote:
> My worry with re-running the burn-in every time we do cleaning is for resource utilisation. When the machines are running the burn-in, they're not doing useful physics so I would want to minimise the number of times this is run over the life time of a machine.

You only have to run it every time if you put the step into automated cleaning.
However, we also have manual cleaning, which is run explicitly.

> It may be possible to do something like the burn in with a dedicated set of steps but still use the cleaning state machine.

Yep, this is what manual cleaning is about: an operator explicitly requests it
with a given set of steps. See
https://docs.openstack.org/ironic/latest/admin/cleaning.html#manual-cleaning

> Having a cleaning step set (i.e. burn-in means cpuburn,memtest,badblocks,benchmark) would make it more friendly for the administrator. Similarly, retirement could be done with additional steps such as reset2factory.

++

We may even add a reference set of clean steps to IPA, but we'll need your help
implementing them. I am personally not familiar with how to do burn-in right
(though IIRC Julia is).