[openstack-dev] [horizon] [heat-dashboard] Horizon plugin settings for new xstatic modules

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 14:47:21 UTC 2018

Hi Xinni,

> Hello Horizon Team,
>
> I would like to hear about your opinions about how to add new xstatic
> modules to horizon settings.
>
> As for Heat-dashboard project embedded 3rd-party files issue, thanks for
> your advices in Dublin PTG, we are now removing them and referencing as new
> xstatic-* libs.

Thanks for moving this forward.

> So we installed the new xstatic files (not uploaded as openstack official
> repos yet) in our development environment now, but hesitate to decide how to
> add the new installed xstatic lib path to STATICFILES_DIRS in
> openstack_dashboard.settings so that the static files could be automatically
> collected by *collectstatic* process.
>
> Currently Horizon defines BASE_XSTATIC_MODULES in
> openstack_dashboard/utils/settings.py and the relevant static fils are added
> to STATICFILES_DIRS before it updates any Horizon plugin dashboard.
> We may want new plugin setting keywords ( something similar to ADD_JS_FILES)
> to update horizon XSTATIC_MODULES (or directly update STATICFILES_DIRS).

IMHO it is better to allow horizon plugins to add xstatic modules
through horizon plugin settings. I don't think it is a good idea to
add a new entry in BASE_XSTATIC_MODULES based on horizon plugin
usages. It makes difficult to track why and where a xstatic module in
BASE_XSTATIC_MODULES is used.
Multiple horizon plugins can add a same entry, so horizon code to
handle plugin settings should merge multiple entries to a single one
hopefully.
My vote is to enhance the horizon plugin settings.

Akihiro