[openstack-dev] [nova][notification] Full traceback in ExceptionPayload

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 14:46:37 UTC 2018

On 3/9/2018 6:26 AM, Balázs Gibizer wrote:
> The instance-action REST API has already provide the traceback to the
> user (to the admin by default) and the notifications are also admin only
> things as they are emitted to the message bus by default. So I assume
> that security is not a bigger concern for the notification than for the
> REST API. So I think the only issue we have to accept is that the
> traceback object in the ExceptionPayload will not be a well defined
> field but a simple string containing a serialized traceback.
>
> If there is no objection then Kevin or I can file a specless bp to
> extend the ExceptionPayload.

I think that's probably fine. As you said, if we already provide
tracebacks in instance action event details (and faults), then the
serialized traceback in the error notification payload also seems fine,
and is what the legacy notifications did so it's not like there wasn't
precedent.

I don't think we need a blueprint for this, it's just a bug.

Matt