[openstack-dev] [horizon][ptg] Horizon PTG Highlights

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Mar 7 13:12:29 UTC 2018

On 2018-03-07 00:08:39 +0200 (+0200), Ivan Kolodyazhny wrote:
[...]
> - we agreed to make go forward with Eventlet by default and make it
>    configurable to allow native Python threads which are used now
>    - let's ask the community about their experience with Eventlet
>    - Eventlet is not the best option for Python 3 at the moment
[...]

There was a discussion[*] during TC office hours three weeks ago
wherein we rehashed a general desire to see eventlet usage decline
within OpenStack services (we recognize that the volunteer workforce
needed to rearchitect existing eventlet-using services simply
doesn't exist, though it was suggested in jest as a potential
community goal). At a minimum, there seemed to be some consensus
that we should strongly discourage new uses of eventlet because its
stdlib monkey-patching has created all manner of incompatibilities
with other libraries in the past. Most recently it seems to be
hampering etcd adoption, which we had as a community previously
agreed on using to provide a consistent DLM implementation across
projects.

[*] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2018-02-15.log.html#t2018-02-15T15:12:44

--
Jeremy Stanley