[openstack-dev] [Puppet] Requirements for running puppet unit tests?

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at redhat.com
Fri Jun 29 00:04:02 UTC 2018

Hey folks,

I'm looking for some guidance on how to successfully run rspec tests
for openstack puppet modules (specifically, puppet-keystone).  I
started with CentOS 7, but running the 'bundle install command' told
me:

  Gem::InstallError: public_suffix requires Ruby version >= 2.1.
  An error occurred while installing public_suffix (3.0.2), and Bundler cannot continue.
  Make sure that `gem install public_suffix -v '3.0.2'` succeeds before bundling.

So I tried it on my Fedora 28 system, and while the 'bundle install'
completed successfully, running `bundle exec rake lint` told me:

  $ bundle exec rake lint
  /home/lars/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/puppet-2.7.26/lib/puppet/util/monkey_patches.rb:93: warning: constant ::Fixnum is deprecated
  rake aborted!
  NoMethodError: undefined method `<<' for nil:NilClass

...followed by a traceback.

So then I tried it on Ubuntu 18.04, and the bundle install fails with:

  Gem::RuntimeRequirementNotMetError: grpc requires Ruby version < 2.5, >= 2.0. The current ruby
  version is 2.5.0.
  An error occurred while installing grpc (1.7.0), and Bundler cannot continue.

And finally I tried Ubuntu 17.10.  The bundle install completed
successfully, but the 'rake lint' failed with:

  $ bundle exec rake lint
  /home/lars/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/puppet-2.7.26/lib/puppet/defaults.rb:164: warning: key :queue_type is duplicated and overwritten on line 165
  rake aborted!
  can't modify frozen Symbol

What is required to successfully run the rspec tests?

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at redhat.com> | larsks @ {irc,twitter,github}
http://blog.oddbit.com/                |